Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Steve McNair, a year later


On July 4 it will be one year since the tragic death of Steve McNair. Perhaps like many of you I attended a holiday party, the spirit of which was heavily dampened as the sad news spread.

I recall on the next day I was interviewed by Delmarva ESPN Radio’s Shan Shariff and asked about my first thoughts upon hearing the news…

“I thought first about McNair’s family – his four boys and his wife and I can’t imagine the pain they must be feeling. I then wondered how and why someone who to the outside observer had it all could even put himself in such an uncompromising position.”

Almost a year later, those thoughts haven’t really changed.

Generally speaking, we are a forgiving society and as time goes on we tend to remember the good things and allow them to outweigh, perhaps even conveniently remove the bad things from our memories.

But in the case of Steve McNair, I hope that everyone can learn from his deadly mistakes as well as his kind, caring and giving ways. Clearly he was a torn man. One with a wonderful heart and soul yet tortured by his demons and those demons ultimately led to his demise.


0 comments :