Thursday, September 17, 2009

INJURY UPDATE: Ravens v. Chargers


Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs and safety Tom Zbikowski were sidelined for the entire practice due to concussions.

And free safety Ed Reed was limited with a concussion of his own.

"I've still got a slight headache, nothing too bad," Zbikowski said. "It's my first one. That's something you can't mess around with.

"It's not like a hamstring. It's something you don't want to be taking a chance with. It's not like the brain is something that can grow back."

Suggs is also dealing with a chest injury.

Meanwhile, starting inside linebacker Tavares Gooden participated fully in practice days after spraining his right knee against the Kansas City Chiefs. A magnetic resonance imaging exam confirmed that there was no ligament damage.

"Everything is cool," Gooden said. "Nothing is out of the ordinary or torn. I'm just getting back into a running mode. I'm not sure about Sunday yet. I'm going to get some more treatment and practice and see how it feels. I always think I'm playing.

"I got hit in the back of the knee on one of those little nerves on a kickoff return. It's kind of like hitting a funny bone. I sprained a little something. I'm fine. I'm just trying to see how I'm going to feel out there."

Tight end L.J. Smith (pulled hamstring) was limited as he returned to practice for the first time since getting hurt last month.

"I'm definitely feeling a lot better," Smith said. "I'm going to test it out and see what kind of progress I've made. Hopefully, I can push it and I'm trying to get up to game speed as much as I can. I don't want to do anything crazy, but you've got to push it."

Smith was unsure about whether he'll be able to play Sunday against the San Diego Chargers, but said he would prepare as if that's going to be the case.

"I would say it's possible," Smith said. "I just can't have another setback. I'll know by Friday if I'm going to be able to play. I feel good now."

Defensive tackle Haloti Ngata’s sprained ankle and knee injury are coming around.

Ngata has been bothered by a bursa sac problem with his knee that occasionally swells up.

“I first had it two years ago,” he said. “I just have to wait for it to heal up. It’s an old injury."

0 comments :