Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Doubts linger in Ravens' quest to reach the Promised Land


I was at the gym this morning running and dialed up some uplifting, inspirational music on my ipod to boost my energy and shake off this bad karma that’s been dogging me about this weekend’s AFC Championship Game.

Enter Bruce Springsteen’s Promised Land…

Suddenly visions of happy moments at M&T Bank Stadium tumbled to the forefront of my thoughts and almost as suddenly I envisioned a ray of light breaking through the clouds of bad mojo courtesy of Cam Cameron’s play calling of late.

I listened to Bruce sing…

Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart

I have to admit, I’m not quite there. I still have serious doubts about this game but that will not break my will as a fan and it will not make me any less passionate in my support of our team.

After my run, I pulled up the lyrics to Promised Land and put my own spin on them. I have to say, it's helping but I could use some more convincing and arm twisting.

Anyway, here's my new spin on Springsteen's classic...

ON A POTHOLE-FILLED FREEWAY IN THE PA MOUNTAINS
I PICK UP THE SENT OF BURNING EMBERS AND STEEL
DRIVING CROSS THE VENANGO COUNTY LINE
I PUT MY GAME FACE ON IT’S JUST A MATTER OF TIME

WAITING ALL WEEK TO WATCH BIG BEN GET SACKED
PUMPING OUR FIST WHEN WE BREAK THEIR BACKS
PRETTY SOON B’MORE WE’RE GONNA TAKE CHARGE

RAY & THE DOGS WILL BARK, CAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND
WE CAN TAKE THIS TEAM AND THEIR INBRED FANS
NO BLACK & GOLD CAN SPOIL OUR PLAN
‘CAUSE I BELIEVE IN THE PROMISED LAND

WE’VE DONE OUR BEST TO PLAY THE RIGHT WAY
WE GET UP EVERY MORNING & PRACTICE HARD EACH DAY
YET WE GET NO RESPECT AND YOUR HEART GROWS COLD
SOMETIMES I GET SO PISSED I JUST WANT TO EXPLODE

EXPLODE AND TEAR THIS TEAM APART
TAKE A KNIFE AND CUT THE WILL FROM THEIR HEART
THE FLIGHT TO TAMPA BAY IS ABOUT TO DEPART

RAY & THE DOGS WILL BARK, CAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND
WE CAN TAKE THIS TEAM AND THEIR INBRED FANS
NO BLACK & GOLD CAN SPOIL OUR PLAN
‘CAUSE I BELIEVE IN THE PROMISED LAND

THERE’S A HIGH PRICED BOUNTY ON THAT CHEAPSHOT WARD
BUCKLE YOUR CHINSTRAP WE’RE HEADING STRAIGHT INTO THE STORM
GONNA PLAY SOME SMASH MOUTH & TAKE THE STEELERS DOWN
THEY AIN’T GOT THE STRENGTH TO STAND THEIR GROUND

BLOW AWAY THE DB’S & PICK THEM APART
BLOW AWAY WILLIE PARKER HE’S GOT NO HEART
BLOW AWAY THE REPLAYS THAT LEAVE YOU NOTHIN’ BUT MAD & BROKENHEARTED

RAY & THE DOGS WILL BARK, CAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND
WE CAN TAKE THIS TEAM AND THEIR INBRED FANS
NO BLACK & GOLD CAN SPOIL OUR PLAN
‘CAUSE I BELIEVE IN THE PROMISED LAND
AND I BELIEVE IN THE PROMISED LAND
YEAH I BELIEVE IN THE PROMISED LAND…

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Well...this is one of those rare times when I'm actually speechless.

LOL

Whatever works for ya, man. ;o)

There are two things you know you can count on, regardless...

1. We're all here supporting our team and we're more than happy to help you get over your doubts about the outcome.

2. We'll all be here picking your posts apart if/when they drift too far off the map. Hahahahahahah

Tony Lombardi said...

Promise?

Anonymous said...

Promise to pick your posts apart if/when they drift too far off the map? HELL YEAH!

(Oh...and if you meant about the first part...ABSOLUTELY. We're Ravens fans and we want our team to do the best it possibly can. Too often that seems to get overlooked in our eagerness to express our opinions. But that's a shame; we shouldn't let our enthusiasm overshadow our support for our team and for each other as fans, but, unfortunately, it happens.)

And Tony...you of all people should know that NFL games are not won by stats...they're won on the field. And they're won with a lot of heart. And while there are never any guarantees, you HAVE to know that when it comes to heart, Ray Lewis and his dawgs are NOT going to walk onto that field with anything less than 100+%. Ray knows how rare it is to have a shot at a Super Bowl, and he is not going to let this team drop off come Sunday. That I DO promise you.

ravcolt said...

Trust the right arm of Flacco instead of the legs of McGahee. It a'int rocket science.