Friday, June 06, 2008

Flacco better than Ryan? This and more from the wonderful world of sports...


It’s interesting how few people discuss the MLB Amateur Draft relative to that of the NFL. Mel Kiper is a big baseball fan but clearly he chose the right career path by picking football over the boys of summer.

Yesterday the Orioles selected University of San Diego left-hander Brian Matusz with the fourth overall pick in the draft. I can’t help but think of Adam Loewen and the potential bust he is “blossoming” into. Personally I would have preferred a position player. Anyone know who the Orioles selected in Round 2? Of course you don’t.

That distinction goes to Xavier Avery of Cedar Grove (Ga.) High, a left-handed-hitting center fielder. Ravens’ fans should be interested to know that Avery has signed a letter of intent to attend the University of Georgia. He doubles as running back. Doesn’t that leave the Orioles a bit vulnerable when negotiating with Avery and his handlers? They have the leverage of college and two sports to use against Andy McPhail and the O’s front office brass.

Bottom line in my book is that the MLB Draft could never, ever be as interesting as its NFL counterpart because fans aren’t familiar with the amateur talent plus the players drafted rarely make an immediate impact at the big league level. Remember the left handed hitting infielder that the O’s drafted with the ninth overall pick 2 years ago? Didn’t think so…

In the NFL, high end picks better make an impact. Jobs are at stake.

Speaking of Mel Kiper, I ran into him recently at my daughter’s grade school graduation ceremonies. He introduced me to another of the graduating class’ parents and asked me to share my thoughts on Joe Flacco with said parent. I said think Ben Roethlisberger with more mobility and a stronger arm. Kiper concurred. Oh and I meant to add, “and without the crotch rocket.”

I then questioned the ESPN draft guru about the differences between Flacco and Atlanta’s Matt Ryan. Kiper said that if Flacco stayed at Pitt and played, he might have been drafted ahead of Ryan.

Count me among those who are sick of the Verizon FIOS TV ads. They run constantly and I’m not even that much of a TV viewer. I’m looking forward to the product arriving in my part of town but enough already! These ads have been set on replay for months and months and still the product is nothing more than a promise in the dark for this Perry Hall resident. If and when FIOS ever becomes available to me I’m sure the natural response will be, “Wooooooow!”

In my blog back on May 15, I compared Roger Goodell to Michael Corleone in The Godfather. Yesterday when I read that a convicted steroids dealer who recently met with NFL security officials and gave them names of players he said bought steroids from him was been found dead in his home, I thought that maybe the jest wasn’t so far removed from the truth after all.Plano, Texas police made a welfare check on 35-year-old David Jacobs and his 30-year-old girlfriend Amanda Jo Earhart-Savell only to find that they had both been shot to death. As of this writing no information has been released about whether the deaths were a double homicide or a murder-suicide. Stay tuned…

My condolensces to the family and friends of the deceased.

Something that we all thought was gone for good but has been revitalized and brought back to life is Inside the NFL. Apparently Showtime Networks and CBS Sports have paired up to bring back the highly acclaimed and award-winning NFL studio show. And I always thought that GE/NBC brought good things to life…er light…

No word yet on what the talent line-up looks like but the bet here is that Dan Marino and/or Deion Sanders will be involved.

Staying with the theme of coming back, one controversial AFC North player says to count him in…"Am I coming back? Of course I am. I told my coaches I'm going to California to act, but the truth is I may come back to the Bengals as early as June. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid."

That’s Bengals’ WR Chad Johnson who went on to say…

"I have no problem with Cincinnati. I love the city. The fans are great. You know what's funny? I know how the fans have felt for (all) those years of losing. That's how I'm feeling right now. I feel it, and I see where it's going. It's going back to that same old 'Bungles' or whatever it used to be."

Here’s to CJ’s clairvoyant powers. Let’s hope he’s right.

Bills running back Marshawn Lynch is being described as the "principal suspect" in an alleged hit-and-run accident. According to reports Lynch was inside his 2008 Porsche SUV when it struck and injured a woman crossing an intersection in downtown Buffalo before speeding off early Saturday. And just think, Willis McGahee said there’s nothing to do in Buffalo.

Hey when did Orioles’ outfielder Markakis change the spelling of his first name from Nick to Knick? Every time I look at an Orioles boxscore it reads, K Markakis…

Reports from Cleveland suggest that the Browns aren’t exactly racing to the bargaining table to strike a new deal with controversial TE Kellen Winslow.

"We don't have a lot of wiggle room right now at this particular time," said Browns GM Phil Savage earlier this week. "Only time will tell if it goes one direction or the other, but I think we've let it be known kind of where we are." Gee thanks there Phil for clarifying that.

Wonder if Savage was so concise and to the point with Ozzie Newsome when he described the debacle otherwise known as the Ravens 2004 NFL Draft class.

Despite his six arrests and 12 incidents requiring police attention, Roger Goodell is allowing Pacman Jones to practice with the Dallas Cowboys. Stock prices on Dallas area strip clubs are said to be skyrocketing…The Ravens mascot Poe has been seeded 16th in the AFC in a mascot tournament conjured up by CBS Sportsline. In case you aren’t a math major that means he’s been voted the worst in the conference. You can make a difference. Log on to CBS Sportsline
and vote. As of this writing Poe is neck and neck with the Chargers’ mascot Boltman…Artie Donovan celebrated his birthday on Thursday. Happy wishes go out to the Crabtown favorite who is now 83 years young. Here’s a look at Artie during one of his frequent visits to late night talk shows, this time with Johnny Carson... And finally, the not-so-household name of Billy Rowell was the O’s first round pick just 2 years ago…Have a great weekend and go Big Brown, even if your trainer does come off as a bit of a pompous jerk.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

You know little about football and even less about baseball. Loewen was rushed and injured, Matusz will be in the O's rotation by 2010. And Markakis will still finish the season with 25+ HR and 90 RBI with scrubs hitting around him. He's tired of being pitched around and chasing alot of junk. Like you most Sat nights. No wonder WNST fired your no-talent ass. One and only reason to like Nestor I say!

Eric
owings mills

Tony Lombardi said...

Hey what about Fridays?

MB Genius said...

I could be mistaken but that Markakis comment was a joke there "Eric, Owings Mills." Pretty clever one IMO. Injuries or not Loewen hasn't pitched like a No. 4 pick in the draft. And as for Matusz, you are pretty optimistic. By the time the guy signs 2008 will be shot. So you think he needs only 1 season in the minors and then he's a starter in 2010? I guess we'll see there anonymous Eric.

heat index said...

Yo Eric, u have options. U don't like then don't read. It's not that difficult even for someone from Owings Mills.

Lon said...

WNST? If you're listening from Owings Mills then your somewhere else on the dial. 'Tin Can Radio' can't get a signal out that far!