Wednesday, March 26, 2008

There's a danger to listening with your eyes...


Ok I have a confession to make – I have been a regular viewer of American Idol this season. In the past, I may have seen some of the contestants perform while channel surfing but not until this year did I give the program much more than a sniff. Perhaps their tapping into the Beatles’ catalog lured me.


Redundancy is certainly a problem with the show and the biggest culprit is the bubbly and bumbling Paula Abdul. But that aside, I’m sure that each of you who do take in the show (whether you want to admit it or not) has your favorite contestant(s).


Now there could be any number of reasons why you’ve selected your favs. My favorites are David Cook and Michael Johns and I’ll be rooting for them down to the wire. Yet at the same time, it’s difficult for me not to find Brooke White appealing. She’s talented, attractive, humble, sweet and sincere and I find her to be a breath of fresh air when compared to many her age that are hardly humble and are really nothing more than self-promoting windbags.


Yet I must admit that her appeal makes me overlook some of her deficiencies as a musical talent.


Am I listening with my eyes?


While noticing this built in bias towards Brooke I wondered how many other voters felt the same, whether it be for Brooke or any of the other 9 surviving contestants on Idol.


And then as they often do my thoughts veered in a totally different direction towards the 2008 NFL Draft…


And then I thought of Kyle Boller…


And now I’m thinking about Matt Ryan…


Did the personal appeal and Wonderlic score of Kyle Boller allure and subsequently trap the Ravens into committing two high end draft picks just to secure his rights? Might the Ravens’ organization, desperate for consistency and efficiency at the quarterback position commit the very same mistake with Matt Ryan?


Of the two, clearly Ryan is the more polished QB as a senior entering the draft. But is he worthy of a No. 8 pick and the dollars that go with such a lofty selection?


I’m really not sure.


I’ve been told by folks in the know that Ryan really didn’t have a very good supporting cast and still managed to keep his team undefeated heading into November before Boston College dropped three of five prior to their 24-21 Champs Sports’ Bowl win over Michigan State.


That aside, is Ryan one of the country’s 8 best collegiate players? If your answer is no then do you think that this is the year the Ravens go against the grain and pick for need rather than best player available? Or should they wait until Round 2 for Joe Flacco or Brian Brohm or Chad Henne?


Talent v. Need


Needs can certainly influence appeal and appeal can influence, even blur opinions on talent.
It happened with Kyle Boller.


It’s happening for me with Brooke White.


Might it do the same to Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta with Matt Ryan?


We’ll find out one month from today.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Matt Ryan's coach made a very good point about Ryan when he compared him to Matt Hasselbeck. Now, usually every quarterback gets compared to a hall-of-famer. I've heard Brian Brohm compared to Jim Kelly, and John Elway. Matt Ryan has been compared to Tom Brady. But when the BC coach compared Matt Ryan to Matt Hasselbeck, he said, most teams would gladly give a top ten pick for Hasselbeck. It's true, even though Hasselbeck might not be a top ten QB in the NFL, he's talented enough to run a good offense, is an occasional pro-bowler, and would be better than any QB that has ever started for the Ravens. This all plays in to value. A good QB is as much a boon to a team as a great DT or CB. If we were to do a fantasy redraft, how many QBs would go in the top ten? We would all love to see the Ravens draft a hall-of-famer, but I would be more than happy if they found someone who had a solid career with the team at the QB position. If nothing else, our beloved Ravens wouldn't be as painful to watch.