Tuesday, February 26, 2008

An attempt @ ESPN: Entertainment Sports Network


I’ve been wondering (perhaps you have to) about a few things going down around town in the world of sports and another thing or three…

With all of the Billick interviews going on, why hasn’t WNST had one? I’m sure by now they’re thinking that station buddy Brian Billick has been there and done that and done that and done that so why do that again, right?...In his interview with Mark Viviano on Channel 13 Brian Billick said, “I’d like the people here [in Baltimore] to think that I became part of them.” Brian, you certainly made yourself available to the fans and the media and I know the folks in Lot G appreciated your walk along the Hamburg Street Bridge prior to home games but I don’t think your answers that never answered anything made them feel like you became part of them. Maybe now that you aren’t the coach you can become part of them. Time will tell…

Time will also tell if the Ravens made a mistake winning that last game against the Steelers. I know, I know, it’s the Steelers and we all want to beat the black and yellow but c’mon, the difference between the sixth pick in April’s draft and the eighth could be huge. The impact that that player could make might dwarf any minimal momentum that the team can carry forward from a rather meaningless win. As I wrote after that win v. Pittsburgh, Ravens Dealt Costly Win. I'll stand by that and let time tell if I'm wigged out on crack or not. And please, save all the talk about Troy Smith carrying positive mojo into 2008 with that win. Put a couple of bad preseason outings on him and watch that mojo shrivel up like Roseanne Barr’s groom on wedding night…

Hey have you noticed that Anita Marks has been off the air a bit more lately than in the past. Could it be she’s taking some deserved vacation or could it be that she’s using up the vacation prior to her next gig in her next town? Marks’ contract expires on or around April 30 this year and there has been no word of an extension. That’s not to say one isn’t coming but nothing is certain at this point. Could anyone blame her if she’s out marketing her services to another station? Doesn’t everyone have the right to continue their livelihood?

On to entertainment (or lack thereof), I’ve never been one to get jazzed about The Academy Awards yet each year provided I’m home, I will at least for a few moments jump over to the network carrying the event. Trouble is each time I do it’s the end of television that night for me. The Oscars put me into a state of blissful R.E.M. Talk about boring. The nominees for best sound in a foreign motion picture are….zzzzzzzzzzzz…

Not so boring is U2 3D. What a great movie currently playing at The Maryland Science Center. The 3D effects put you right there – the best 3D I’ve experienced. And while visually you are spoiled the audio is weak. They give you an onstage view of the world’s best active band and then relatively speaking, hand you an AM radio to listen to the sounds of said band. Look if you are going to invest the time, money and energy to place the viewer that close to the band, then let us feel the band. I want Adam Clayton’s bass thumping in my chest the way I would if I was actually there. Otherwise, why bother with all the visual effects? That said it’s certainly worth the $12.00 and then some. Just take your gloves or buy a hot chocolate. It was freezing in that theatre.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Billick was on WNST yesterday morning with Drew Forrester at 8am.