Friday, October 19, 2007

Think Pink ~ Because Life if Important


September 27, 2007 marked the eighteenth anniversary of my Mom’s passing. In some ways it feels like only yesterday that she left us. In other ways it feels like an eternity.

I think about her very often. I wonder how my life would be different if she was still around. I wonder how much different the world might look if she were still part of the state of consciousness that you and I understand. I wonder how she would have impacted the lives of my children and dear nephews. Would their worlds be different? Would they be different? Would I be different?

At times when I go down for the night, I think of a happy moment that Mom and I shared. I smile and I hope that these thoughts that lure me into a state of peaceful restfulness will somehow bring her to me in my dreams. Unfortunately they rarely do.

Those of you that have lost your Mom understand the void that her journey on to the next form of consciousness leaves – a hole in the heart that never fills. Moms are just special. The gift of life that they give to us all is precious and the connection remains forever, certainly long after the umbilical cord is severed.

Mom left us swiftly. She was diagnosed with cancer and within a week she was gone. And while the pain that we endured as a result of her rapid departure was acute, it was of comfort knowing that she didn’t suffer very long. Today along with the many wonderful memories that I’ve been blessed with, I hold on to that because in my mind it was our Maker’s way of saving her from the sometimes torturous and perilous attempts to prolong her life with cancer.

About 10 years prior to my Mom’s passing, she was the happy recipient of a kidney, donated we were told by a young man from Western Maryland involved in a fatal motorcycle accident. Those of you familiar with transplants know that your body is built to fight off foreign matter including donated organs even if the blood types match. Fortunately for my Mom, she never had to weather any type of rejection period. Her body embraced the new kidney like it was her very own.

My Mom enjoyed a wonderful 10 years with that donated organ. Without it who knows what would have happened. What I do know is she was a terrible dialysis patient who was wiped out for the days between her dialysis treatments. Just as she was feeling somewhat human again, it was time for another treatment. That organ provided her a quality of life that she desperately yearned for and that she certainly deserved.

This month, we have been reminded repeatedly that it is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and that’s a very, very good thing. If all of us can learn just a little more about breast cancer and if each of us can dig down into our pockets for even some spare change, perhaps it could make a difference in the life of your Mom, sister, Grandmom, daughter, aunt or cousin.

Your efforts dedicated to knowledge and awareness of the disease or your financial contributions to help fund research to cure or curtail its destructive path are so worthy of your time. No one thinks that such grim news will come knocking on the door of their home or that of their loved ones, but every now and then it does.

My Mom didn’t fall to breast cancer but her life was extended in part due to research conducted by the National Kidney Foundation. Contributors like you helped my Mom and our family was blessed with ten more years of quality of life. Thank you.

I hope that in some small way, I can impress upon you that even the smallest of contributions can make a difference in the quality of life of one of your loved ones or the loved ones of those you know.

The gift of giving can be truly amazing particularly when a community is galvanized and they share a singularity of purpose.

To make a difference in the life of another resonates in time.

Trust me, I know.

0 comments :