Saturday, August 11, 2007

J. LEWIS IN DENIAL...AND I'M NOT TALKING THE RIVER


Back in June I posted a blog with the title “Jamal Lewis Needs to Run the Ball and Not His Mouth.” At the time Jamal was flapping his gums about how the Ravens didn’t use him enough and how a change of scenery might help his career. I shredded Lewis’ statements which to me amount to nothing more than a player in denial. My conclusion: “Maybe in Cleveland the air won’t be so hot, the excuses will be fewer and Lewis will be running the ball more than his mouth.“But somehow I kind of doubt it.”

(you can read that blog here)

Boy did he prove me to be rather prophetic. He’s flapping again and this time he cuts a bit deeper. This from a recent article in the USA Today:

What Lewis said: "I was ready to go. I didn't want to be there no more. I think they were making excuses, more than anything else, as far as the running game."

What he meant was: “I was ready to go but my feet would only do the Ickey Shuffle. I couldn’t get it done anymore and it felt like my feet were still in shackles. I made excuses until they didn’t buy them anymore. But the Browns did so here I am.”

Lewis claims that Brian Billick didn’t like him. Gee that explains why Billick stuck with the unproductive Lewis despite cries from the fans to play Mike Anderson. That also explains why Lewis received his second highest number of careers in a season in ’06. Billick might not like him now. Great thanks from an unappreciative malcontent who Billick supported while he was incarcerated.

And just to prove that he has absolutely no future in any team’s front office, Lewis spewed this gem:

"What did they do to make the running game better? Did they bring in new offensive linemen? No. They brought in a new quarterback (Steve McNair) … but got rid of Darnell Dinkins, a blocking tight end.”

Ya think that Lewis has taken one too many hits to the head?

"You know (Brian) Billick. He wants to throw the ball, anyway. I didn't fit their scheme.”

No argument here. One dimensional backs are a dying breed – particularly those that get run down from behind by linebackers.

And remember all the excuses? You know the one about how his prison sentence didn’t enable him to train properly and how the ankle created problems for him not only in ’05 but last season as well. Remember? Apparently Jamal doesn’t…

"[The sentence and injury] didn't bother me”, he said. "That just made me go out and want to do better. It was just like they weren't letting me do my job and they weren't supporting me. … A 2,000-yard rusher does not forget how to run the football. Somebody may forget how to rush the football. Now I'm in a better place. "

So let’s see, one of the Ravens’ primary offseason goals was to improve the running game. More so than any other team, the Ravens knew what Lewis was capable of. Yet they barely raised a finger to re-sign him. Did Ozzie Newsome, the man who hates to lose his first round picks, suddenly suffer from vapor lock and temporarily lose his wits?

Doubtful! He knows Lewis has lost a couple steps and he’s way too one dimensional.


Lewis now claims he's in his best shape since 2003. Haven’t we heard that annually since 2003?

"I worked hard this offseason to get my feet right and get everything back in position like it's supposed to be," Lewis says. "So that I can hit it, make my moves and get back to my old form. That's my asset: a big back with speed, having quickness in the hole."

Did he watch tape of himself from last season?

Maybe he watched it in fast forward.

It’s certainly going to be interesting on September 30. Perhaps then the Ravens will have a rebuttal for a former friend who threw his old team, coach and the providers of his fortunes under the bus.

I’d hate to be in a foxhole with that guy.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

This just goes to show you the type of man Jamal is. There was no point to say these things unless you yourself are trying to make an excuse for why YOU haven't produced since 2003. Like school on saturday No Class. All I hope for is a meeting between Ngata, Pryce, Ed and Ray in his chest.

Anonymous said...

I have been telling my co-workers for the last 2 years that Jamal has been tip-toeing through the tulips. His "Tiny Tim" act got way, way old! Heck, I think I could have tackled him without pads on, he was pathetic these last two years and it had nothing to do with the line!!! Our defense is going to eat him for lunch!!! My prediction for his first game against us---- 20 carries for 7 yards, and that is being kind!!!

Owings Mills Alex said...

Jamal is trying to talk bad about his former girlfriend, the Ravens. He knows that the Ravens broke up with him and he can't take it so he is trying to sell the story that he broke up with the Ravens. I can't wait till he gets the receiving end from the Ravens' Defense.

Purple Haze said...

Jamal Lewis needs to repair the filter between his brain and his mouth. If nothing else, at least his boneheaded remarks will make an otherwise boring game more interesting when the purple and black visit the stains.

Purple Haze said...

Jamal Lewis needs to repair the filter between his brain and his mouth. If nothing else, at least his boneheaded remarks will make an otherwise boring game more interesting when the purple and black visit the stains.

MB Genius said...

I always supported Jamal. These comments are a violation and cannot be supported. Maybe time will heal the wounds.

MB Genius said...

I always supported Jamal. These comments are a violation and cannot be supported. Maybe time will heal the wounds.