Sunday, January 14, 2007

WAKE ME UP WHEN THE PLAYOFFS END





Over the past week or so, I interpreted a few things as omens that the Ravens would win yesterday. I looked back to Steve McNair getting locked out of Baptist Park in Nashville as a sign. And then there was Brian Billick’s ascension from the outhouse to possibly the penthouse. Yeah, those would make for great stories. They dripped of tales of destiny.

Destination Miami!

Then there was the average number of points the Colts scored on the road during their four game road losing streak -- 18. And those points came against defenses that on average ranked 18th. And low and behold, the NFL’s favored son and crybaby Peyton Manning wears No. 18. And as we know, that’s a digit less than 19 and 19 is our town’s favorite football number. The signs were there.

Signs, signs everywhere there were signs.

18 is less than 19 so the Colts would come up short.

When I ordered a bagel on Saturday morning my receipt was number 119. Another sign!

On my way to the stadium, a friend called and told me a tale about how he asked his daughter if she had a lucky charm that he could borrow for the game. She immediately handed over her lucky rabbit’s foot.

A hunting we will go…A hunting we will go….

We left the ammo home!

Bad sign.

Now all of these questions are swimming in my head:

1. Who do I root for now?
2. Do I want to root for anyone?
3. Do I want to even watch football?
4. Suddenly I hate Sports Center and Tom Jackson and Ron Jaworski and Sean Salisbury.
5. I hate everyone that correctly predicted the outcome of yesterday’s game.
6. I’m scared to death that my wish for a Patriots loss will now come true.
7. I hate the idea of Indianapolis hosting the AFC Championship game.
Go Chargers!
8. More destiny….shouldn’t the Chargers and Saints now play in the Super Bowl?
9. Am I a traitor if I buy a Saints hat?
10. Cheaters can win and Shawne Merriman might.
11. I can now cancel my trip to Key West and then into Miami.
12. Anyone want to buy a couple of plane tickets to Ft. Lauderdale on February 1?
13. I wish I had a dollar for every time I hear Peyton Manning’s name mentioned.
14. PEYTONMANNINGPEYTONMANNINGPEYTONMANNING. (I must admit I like his commercials)
15. Bert Jones was right.
16. I’d hate to host a sports talk show tomorrow.
17. How many will be calling for Billick’s head again?
18. I feel bad for Steve Bisciotti.
19. Wait a minute, why should I feel bad for a young ¾ billionaire?
20. What in the hell were the Ravens doing in that huddle yesterday?
21. If you don’t have a killer instinct, why go hunting Brian?
22. You have a Hall of Fame quarterback and you don’t trust him with 55 seconds on the clock?

WAKE ME UP WHEN THE PLAYOFFS END
(To the Green Day tune of “Wake Me Up When September Ends”)

Winning has come and passed
The Super Bowl is in the past
wake me up when the playoffs end

Like my Ravens come to pass
Festivus has gone so fast
wake me up when the playoffs end

There goes the reign again
Fallen from the sky
Drenched in my pain again
I grab a beer and cry

Hopes & dreams laid to rest
I thought that we were the best
Wake me up when the playoffs end

Winning has come and passed
The Super Bowl is in the past
wake me up when the playoffs end

Bring out the cheers again
Like we did when Fall began
Wake me up when the playoffs end

There goes the reign again
Fallen from the sky
Drenched in my pain again
I grab a beer and cry

Hopes & dreams laid to rest
I thought that we were the best
Wake me up when the playoffs end

Winning has come and passed
The Super Bowl is in the past
wake me up when the playoffs end

Bring out the cheers again
Like we did when Fall began
Wake me up when the playoffs end
Wake me up when the playoffs end
Wake me up when the playoffs end

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

i say root for the colts, they are the city that needs it the most.

Harryos29 said...

Tony,
A comment to Anonymous at 10:58 am..here.. the ONLY possible reason to root for the COLTS would be to have the feeling that the Team that went to the superbowl, and beat the Ravens was the BEST team in the League. Thay may ease the pain a bit..but I rather Doubt that any future event WILL ease our pain in Crabtown. We had an opportunity that in all probablity will never be presented to us again; We did not deliver.
As for your List of things above.. YES BRIAN...Why Go Hunting if you don't have the Killer instinct. Even my wife went ballistic when we wasted 57 seconds just before the first half ended. I'm not calling for HIS Head..but he does not have that GUN SLINGER mentality that I long to see from my Ravens Offense.
Like the old Dodger fans used to say.."wait til next year"
A very disapointed RAVENS fan in Sykesville,
Harry O 1:35 pm

OldSchool said...

Random thoughts as I try to wonder if yesterday was a bad dream: I could never root for the Colts in anything, at any time (unless they beat someone to put us in the playoffs). Football season is over for me, a bitter disappointment given how the season transpired into a wonderful ride. I had a house booked in Miami. We will be second-guessing this game from now until the start of training camp. I don't think I can bear to listen to sports-talk radio for a couple weeks, it will be too negative. Bring on the Terps, and dare I say--the O's???

Big Meaty said...

I'm broken.

My wife could leave me and steal my dog and I wouldn't feel this bad.

Anonymous said...

Tony,

So glad to see that you were able to channel your depression into song. LOL I listened to some of the post-game on the radio, tried to call in but the line was always busy. I found myself immediately shifting gears and looking towards March & April, that's right free agency and the draft. All we can do at this point is learn and move forward. I say that, but this morning, what did I do, I watched the game since I tivoed it yesterday I wanted to see what I could pick up on by seeing it again and picking up anything from the tape, like did you know that Demetrius was WIDE OPEN in the end zone on the pick at the 1 yard line. I was so frustrated watching some of those plays again, but the Ravens crowd came through. You could hear them LOUD AND PROUD over the TV - even when they booed just before the half. Ravens' fans are smart maybe we should be the next OC! LOL

ravensrule said...

Tony,

After spending a months wages to get "Good Seats" for the play-offs, I was looking forward to a night of celebration. It was sad to see the lack of enthusiasm by our offense. I am not sure if it was poor play calling or simply a lack of execution. KUDOS to the defense for keeping us in the game. I wish they could have beaten up on Peyton a little more. I left the stadium with my head hung low like so many others and made my way back to the hotel. I stripped off my Raven gear and scrubbed the paint from by face. The "purple" blood filled the sink and I felt drained. I (We the fans) had fought the hard fight, all energy purged from my body by the Pirates of Indianapolis....and then I smiled inside, just a little. Even though we had lost, I thought more about the joy of watching the Colts lose next week, one more chapter in the CURSE OF THE MAYFLOWER. It will not overcome the pain of losing but it will surely ease the pain, a little, until next season!!!
GO PATRIOTS!!!!

Tony Lombardi said...

And now to make matters worse, the Patriots did what we previously hoped they would do. Everyone did their part except the Ravens. We should be hosting the AFC Championship this Sunday. Instead, we'll just keep hearing, Tom Brady...Peyton Manning...Peyton Manning...Tom Brady...

WAKE ME UP, WHEN THE PLAYOFFS END...

Anonymous said...

Can we let it go now? You had your chance to get all your hatred out on the Colts. The national media talked about it all week and it's all the Ravens heard last week. It wasn't about how much we love the Ravens, it was about how much Baltimore fans were pissed about losing the Colts 20 years ago. Imagine if the Ravens were your wife and your old wife comes back to town and all your new wife hears about is how much you hate your ex-wife now because she broke your heart and you really loved the way she looked and the memories you have with her and you can't get over them. It is going to get on her nerves. This whole thing was a distraction last week from what was important - winning and advancing. I am not saying it is why the Ravens lost, but it did not help. So let's let it go. The Colts are never coming back and you can be as bitter as you want. Me, I will celebrate the team I have. A team that went 13-3 this season despite being picked to finish 3rd in the division. A team that beat the Steelers 58-7 in two games. A team that stayed together and played with class. A team that will bring back it's core next year and hopefully make another run. The Ravens are our team Baltimore. The Colts are just another team trying to take what is ours and this year they succeeded. Next year when they return to Baltimore, treat them just like any other team and kick their a$$!