Saturday, January 06, 2007

NICKNAME FOR RAVENS DEFENSE

What might be a deserving nickname for the Ravens defense? We’ve heard plenty of recommendations ranging from Purple Pain to D-Rex to The Beast. The one that I particularly like is Riptide Rush.

Think back to the Broncos at their best while on defense and you think Orange Crush -- a name that had staying power. Riptide Rush is a purple shade of Gatorade. And if you think about the Ravens defense and the way they morph in all sorts of shapes and sizes while attacking opponents from all directions, isn’t that like a riptide?

I can see it now. With each highlight reel for each individual player, that player comes in on the big screen at The Vault riding a huge purple wave right into the featured footage of the player's on field heroics.

There goes AD on the wave followed by quarterback hits, interceptions, fumble recoveries etc all played to the tune of Wipe Out. And when he's finished wiping out opponents, he gets back on his board and surfs off the screen on a purple riptide wave (of course sponsored by Gatorade!)

You with me?

Got a better idea?

Then bring it on!

11 comments :

Fanman said...

I vote for this name:

"The Harm City Defense"

FM

Anonymous said...

Gotta be the "Purple Haze"!

Check out the song lyrics...

"Purple haze all in my brain (the swarming Ravens defense)
Lately things just dont seem the same (image of scared, scrambling QB)
Actin funny, but I dont know why
scuse me while I kiss the sky (image of a QB getting sacked)
Purple haze all around
Don't know if I'm comin up or down (again with the swarming defense)
Am I happy or in misery?
What ever it is, that girl put a spell on me (more Ravens D highlights...)
Help me
Help me
Oh, no, no

That's what I am talking about!!

Come on Peyton, come to Baltimore...

Tony Lombardi said...

...yes c'mon Peyton and see if you can navigate the Ravens Riptide Rush!

shaan said...

I love the ones I've heard in the past or recent from Purple Pain to Purple Haze. I like the Harm City D..thats cool... but I really like D-Rex !!! taken as compliment to Rex Ryan as well as how our defense plays.. causing mayhem and as a wrecking machine.

Shaan

Tony Lombardi said...

Shaan....what if Rex is hired as a head coach elsewhere?

Anonymous said...

In 2000 they were The Xmen now they are The New Xmen. And I think this Purple Bunch is better.

J.Si said...

"Wings of Death" - did you see the Google video for Ravens defense?

Ian_TBoE said...

I would say "PURPLE HAZE" too... It makes sense (confusing opposing QB's) plus it would sound great pumping through the sound system at M&T Bank... Jimi always gets me fired up

BigE said...

"Raven Maniacs" They will drive you crazy!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's one I proposed back in 2000.

"The Bruise"

Think about it. Hematomas are Purple and Black.

Let's hope Payton Manning has a fe of them after the game.

Rick.

Anonymous said...

what about somthing that has to do with the poem "the raven". that's what they were named after so it seems fitting. somthing like score a touchdown "nevermore" (SATN). mabe it's stupid. just an idea