Tuesday, November 07, 2006

LIFE IS GOOD


Back in my high school days as we prepared for our senior year at Archbishop Curley, we naturally had our senior portraits taken and we had to complete a questionnaire, the answers to which would be the basis for our senior bio.

One of the questions asked had to do with what we wanted to be in life. What profession did you see yourself in?

I answered at the tender age of 17 that I wanted to be a sportscaster.

But somewhere along the line I got off track. Girls were more interesting and I went through the motions at Loyola College. My grades were pretty decent making Dean’s List but I was the type that crammed through the night and took a power nap just before the exam. When the exam was over the knowledge seemed to fall from my head like garbage through a disposal.

Eventually I made my way into the business world and somehow entered the fray of commercial finance. While the profession provided a nice lifestyle and I met wonderful people along the way and to this day many remain friends, I can’t say that I was ever really excited about the job. I liked the competitive nature of the business but the profession wasn’t me.

Since then I’ve reminded my kids often to get their education but when they finish, they should pursue something that they love -- something that they love so much that they would do it for free.

But get paid for it.

I wish that I had pursued my ambition as a 17 year old with much more determination.

But what’s the point of living with regret? Despite fast forwarding 25 years I decided that it isn’t too late after all. I still want to be a sportscaster when I grow up. Maybe it will work out. Maybe it won’t. I’m pretty confident that we’ll do ok but at the very worst what a great lesson for my kids to learn first hand as they see their old man work crazy hours yet never lacking passion.

Do what you love. Love what you do.

Do something you love so much you’d do it for free.

1 comments :

Anonymous said...

Nice thought Pollyanna, will you pay my rent when I decide to raise sea monkeys for a living?

Just kidding, keep up the good vibes, and ain't the beer cold!